Monday, July 30, 2007

Word of Wisdom on Investing

- I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over. (Warren Buffett)

- The key to investing is not assessing how much an industry is going to affect society, or how much it will grow, but rather determining the competitive advantage of any given company and, above all, the durability of that advantage. (Warren Buffett)

- You do things when the opportunities come along. I've had periods in my life when I've had a bundle of ideas come along, and I've had long dry spells. If I get an idea next week, I'll do something. If not, I won't do a damn thing.(Warren Buffett)

- It's better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours and you'll drift in that direction. (Warren Buffett)

- Look at market fluctuations as your friend rather than your enemy; profit from folly rather than participate in it. (Warren Buffett)

- Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. (Warren Buffett)

- Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing. (Warren Buffett)

- Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks. (Warren Buffett)

- The business schools reward difficult complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective. (Warren Buffett)

- There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. (Warren Buffett)

- We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds. (Warren Buffett)

- We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful. (Warren Buffett)

- It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently. (Warren Buffett)

- Go for a business that any idiot can run - because sooner or later, any idiot probably is going to run it. (Peter Lynch)

- The person that turns over the most rocks wins the game. And that's always been my philosophy. (Peter Lynch)

- When stocks are attractive, you buy them. Sure, they can go lower. I've bought stocks at $12 that went to $2, but then they later went to $30. You just don't know when you can find the bottom. (Peter Lynch)

- You get recessions, you have stock market declines. If you don't understand that's going to happen, then you're not ready, you won't do well in the markets. (Peter Lynch)

- You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you. You are right because your data and reasoning are right. (Warren Buffett)

- Never invest in a business you cannot understand. (Warren Buffett)

- Unless you can watch your stock holding decline by 50% without becoming panic-stricken, you should not be in the stock market. (Warren Buffett)

- Stop trying to predict the direction of the stock market, the economy, interest rates, or elections. (Warren Buffett)

- Buy companies with strong histories of profitability and with a dominant business franchise. (Warren Buffett)

- Do not take yearly results too seriously. Instead, focus on four or five-year averages. (Warren Buffett)

- It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results. (Warren Buffett)

- A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought.(Warren Buffett)

- I always knew I was going to be rich. I don't think I ever doubted it for a minute.(Warren Buffett)

- Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can't buy what is popular and do well.(Warren Buffett)

- I choose to work with every single person I work with . I do not ineract with people I do not like or admire. I work with sensational people and I do what want it in life. Why shouldn't I? If I'm not in a position to do what I want, who the hell is. (Warren Buffett)

- True investors don't worry about missing the party, they worry about coming to the party unprepared. (Warren Buffett)

No comments: